RSS

Cooking....Love or Hate It, It Has To Be Done

March 30, 2011

Domestication is just not my "thing." As I have said before I have fought it tooth and nail. Cooking was one of the tasks I found myself to be domestically challenged. When I was in college I did as little as possible to cook, cereal was my favorite meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If I could pour it out of a box to make it that was great. If I just had to open and eat, even better.  Preparing uncooked food was disgusting to me...especially meat. In short...I detested cooking, not to mention I was a disaster in the kitchen.  Have you ever ruined Kraft Macaroni and Cheese? I have.  After college, it didn't change much (or at all really). I got married and my new husband soon realized that if he didn't want to starve he would have to learn to cook!!  Being a career woman and then eventually becoming a Mom didn't help matters. I had no idea how people worked full-time AND provided home cooked meals while maintaining a household and keeping their children in one piece. So, my husband continued his role as "Head Cook" and this was more than fine by me. During this time, our oldest son would ask his Dad what was for dinner and would be surprised if I actually made dinner.  I know there were people that wondered how in the world I got by without cooking and pitied him for having to cook. We made it work and it worked for us - he is a phenomenal cook by the way. 


Once I entered the WORKING world, I decided I needed to "earn my keep" somehow since I wasn't working.  I didn't have much of a choice, I had to learn to cook. Besides I decided that Noah needed to learn that Mommas cook too! I eased myself into it slowly by picking a new recipe to try once a week. To my surprise I actually like cooking now. Yes I did say that.  I know, I am shocked too.  I find now that if I have TIME to plan ahead and prepare the meals, I enjoy feeding my family. It also doesn't hurt when something I make gets rave reviews from around the table.  

Slowly but surely I have built up a variety healthy home cooked meals that are easy to make and enjoyed by all. One of the most important things I have done is to make a menu for the week and many times I plan the entire month.  If I have a menu planned out, it makes grocery shopping much easier and cheaper because if I stick to a list, I stick to our budget for the week.  There is also no question when it comes to what to have for dinner. We don't completely stick to the menu but rather use it as a guide. We know what was on the menu for the week and we have those dinners to chose from. I typically only do a menu for dinner. I used to plan out breakfast, lunch and dinner but found many times the kids wanted something different for breakfast and lunch. So as long as they are eating healthy, I don't care what they have for breakfast or lunch.  Now Noah typically asks me what is for dinner and knows if I am not cooking his dad will.  We are teaching him that both parents are capable of cooking and can contribute. Now he isn't going to be shocked when he grows up to find out moms cook too!! What are somethings you do to make cooking meals easy and/or enjoyable in your home?  I would love to hear what others are doing.  Thanks for stopping - happy cooking!!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment