RSS

True Contentment

March 9, 2011

I am reading a book called Calm My Anxious Heart: A Woman's Guide to True Contentment by Linda Dillow. I was able to download it for FREE on my Amazon Kindle 3 the other day and am SO glad I did!! This book seriously had me captivated within the first two sentences. I thought I would share with you a few excerpts that caught my eye.

Prescription for Contentment:
  • Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather.
  • Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
  • Never compare your lot with another's.
  • Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
  • Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that [tomorrow] is God's, not ours.
I would say I have a LONG way to go to fill that prescription! Yikes! But it is intriguing to say the least.  Another excerpt:

"Most of us base our contentment on our feelings, or on other people.  However true contentment is separate from our circumstances.  Contentment is a state of the heart, not a state of affairs."

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:11-13)"

"Paul commands us to have nothing to do with anxiety and everything to do with prayer. Sadly, many of us reverse this and worry about everything, praying only as a last resort! It is easier to worry, fret, get heartburn, lose sleep, yell at our husband or friends, the kids, or our roommates than it is to pray. We've flip-flopped the biblical prescription, not in belief but in practice."

And all that is only in the first 20 pages or so! I highly recommend this book if you find the above the least bit intriguing. I have attached a link below so you can download it for free. I don't know how long it will be free though. Otherwise it is only $10.87 in paperback. So hurry and enjoy! If you do read it or have read it, leave a comment to let me know what you think!


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment